Due to precautions related to COVID-19, we have expanded our options for remote consultations. Please contact our office to discuss whether a full phone consultation or video conference is appropriate for your situation.

What is a home care allowance?

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Elder Law
  4.  » What is a home care allowance?

What is a home care allowance?

On Behalf of | Jul 2, 2020 | Elder Law

Are you an elderly adult who wants to stay in your own home but who needs assistance with daily activities? If so, you may be eligible for a home care allowance.

A home care allowance is a non-entitlement program available through the Colorado Department of Human Services to individuals who have a disability and/or are older. It provides you with a cash allowance to pay for necessary services that you would not be able to afford on your own.

What services are available?

You can use the home care allowance to obtain assistance with these and other activities:

  • Shopping
  • Meal preparation
  • Laundry
  • Money management
  • Dressing
  • Bathing

Where does the funding come from?

Ninety-five percent of the funding comes from the state. Funding the remaining 5% is the responsibility of the individual counties.

Who is eligible for a home care allowance?

To qualify, you must meet requirements related to functional capacity and financial need. An assessment of your ability to complete activities of daily living indicates your functional capacity. Your financial resources, income and participation in other benefits determines your financial need.

Who makes the determination?

The county refers case management duties to Single Entry Point agencies. These agencies perform both initial and annual assessments and are responsible for developing and monitoring care plans.

How can you apply for a home care allowance?

State and county government share the responsibility for administering the program. The county handles the application process. Therefore, you can contact the Department of Social Services in your county to apply for the program. You should also contact the county for any questions that you have about the program or to make changes to your record.